Mental Health First Aid
Welcome to Virtual Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) for Parents & Adults Assisting Youth (12-18)
Course Reserved for Newport County & RI Residents
Thanks to our generous sponsor Newport Elks Lodge #104, this certification class is FREE, but RESERVED for Newport County and Rhode Island residents!
Similar to First Aid and CPR courses, Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) will help you recognize behavioral health signs & symptoms in children early before they become more problematic. The course is designed to help you handle emerging & crisis situations through a series of interactive scenarios, exercises and videos led by an experienced MHFA-certified trainer.
Friday Aug 20, 2021 MHFA class is ALMOST FULL. There are still several spaces left for Saturday Sep 11, 2021. Classes will run from 9am to 3pm and will include a light breakfast, and full lunch.
What you will learn:
- Skills, strategies and PRACTICE dealing with mental health & substance use disorders. You will NOT learn how to become a therapist. Instead you will learn about WHEN to intervene.
- How to effectively communicate and enable children to open up to you.
- Common myths and facts about mental health pertaining to our local area and the U.S.
- Difference between typical & atypical teenage behavior.
- Trauma-related disorders, eating disorders, aggressive behaviors, anxiety, depression, bipolar, suicidal and non-suicidal behaviors and more.
Course materials include the MHFA manual, handouts, and instructor-led sessions.
For more MHFA information, CLICK Here, or email instructor Sandy Oxx: email@example.com