Mental Health First Aid
Welcome to Virtual Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) for Parents & Adults Assisting Youth (12-18)
Course Reserved for Newport County & RI Residents
Thanks to our generous sponsor Newport Elks Lodge #104, this certification class is FREE, but RESERVED for Newport County and Rhode Island residents!
Similar to First Aid and CPR courses and especially during Covid-19, MHFA will help you recognize behavioral health signs & symptoms in children EARLY before they become more problematic. The course is designed to help you handle emerging & crisis situations through a series of interactive scenarios, exercises and videos led by an experienced MHFA-certified trainer.
New certification courses have been added for Saturday Oct 24, Nov 7, and Nov 14 and more. Class time starts 9 a.m.-1 p.m. CEUs also available.
What you will learn:
- Skills, strategies and PRACTICE dealing with mental health & substance use disorders. You will NOT learn how to become a therapist. Instead you will learn about WHEN to intervene.
- How to effectively communicate and enable children to open up to you.
- Common myths and facts about mental health pertaining to our local area and the U.S.
- Difference between typical & atypical teenage behavior.
- Trauma-related disorders, eating disorders, aggressive behaviors, anxiety, depression, bipolar, suicidal and non-suicidal behaviors and more.
*There is also a 1-2 hour self-paced virtual seminar and video to be completed optimally before the virtual instructor-led classes .
Course materials include the MHFA manual, handouts, and instructor-led sessions.
For more MHFA information, CLICK Here, or email instructor Sandy Oxx: email@example.com